A flagship program of the Alberta Choral Federation, Choralfest is Alberta's non-competitive festival for choirs. We're pleased to contiue the pod performance format for Choralfest North and South -- visit the What's New in 2016 page for details.
Choralfest welcomes the participation of choirs of all ages and levels of experience. Primary emphasis is placed on the continued encouragement, education and development of the individual choir.
CHORALFEST NORTH 2017 (EDMONTON)
March 9-11 • McDougall United Church
Evaluators • Jackie Hawley, Benila Ninan, Kevin Zaresky
CHORALFEST SOUTH 2017 (CALGARY)
March 14-18 • Knox United Church
Evaluators • Dennis Coleman, Morna Edmundson, Scott Leithead
CHORALFEST JAZZ 2017 (CALGARY)
April 6-8 •
- Each choir or ensemble may perform a minimum of two and a maximum of four contrasting pieces of music.
- Concert Choirs should plan a program of that includes no more than 15 minutes of music. In most cases, choirs will perform as part of a "pod" of 3 choirs, after which they will receive two 20 minute clinics with 2 of the festival's evaluators. Choirs are not obligated to perform for the entire 20 minutes.
- Vocal Jazz Ensembles will have one hour on stage (including 15 minutes for setup and sound check) followed by 45 minutes for performance, adjudication and workshop.
- Every facet of the performance, including accompaniment, will be considered in the evaluation. Participants will receive a verbal and written evaluation, as well as an audio recording of their performance – all comments are intended as a guide for the continued encouragement and development. Conductors will receive a video-recording of their performance.
- Participating choirs must be a current CHOIRS/INSTITUTIONS member of Choir Alberta.
- Due to limited space, early registration is advised. Scheduling requests are considered on a first come–first served basis only.
- Confirmation of registration and performance schedule will be emailed to the email address provided on the registration form following the registration deadline.
- Warm up rooms will be available for a maximum of 15 minutes prior to the performance time at Choralfest North and South, and 30 minutes prior to the performance time at Choralfest Jazz.
- Sessions are open to the general public and admission is free. Participants are encouraged to invite colleagues, singers and supporters to attend their performance. Choirs are welcome to arrive early or stay after their workshops to hear additional Choralfest performances.
- VOCAL JAZZ ENSEMBLES – a maximum of 18 microphones plus two solo microphones and risers (3 rows) will be supplied. Bass amplifier and a complete drum set will also be supplied. Additional keyboards may be used - set-up must be done in consultation with the on-site sound technician.